Our customers have inspired us since our humble beginnings and have allowed us to be their hometown bank for many generations. We look forward to continuing that relationship for many more generations to come. HFB employees are proud of their deep roots in the communities we serve and are excited about cultivating those relationships in the future.
Upon receiving its official charter in December 1904, Horizon Financial Bank (Munich, ND) opened its doors in January 1905, as the First National Bank with Usher L. Burdick as the cashier and lender. A.U. Peterson was the assistant cashier and David H. Beecher was the president. The back of the original bank served as the Burdick residence while the front was used for banking transactions. This building was moved to make room for a brick facility in the summer of 1905 where the main bank offices remain today.
When the First National Bank of Hampden closed its doors on January 27, 1934, the First National Bank of Munich acquired the assets and liabilities of that bank at its present location in Munich. The bank received a Certificate of Incorporation, also called a Certificate of Authority, dated March 10, 1938, allowing the bank to change from a National bank to a State bank. At that time, the bank became known as The First State Bank of Munich.
On January 10, 1939, The First State Bank of Munich received a certificate from the State of North Dakota Department of Banking giving permission to establish the Starkweather paying and receiving station. On August 15, 1941, the same was received for Osnabrock.
The bank opened a new location in Devils Lake on September 2, 1997. On March 31, 2000, the Starkweather branch closed.
In September 2013, the bank was given the authorization to change its name from The First State Bank of Munich to Horizon Financial Bank. The bank name officially changed on December 9, 2013. The bank expanded into the Bismarck market with the opening of a new branch there on September 15, 2014.
Horizon Financial Bank has seen many renovations through the years in an effort to keep up with the times and house the technology necessary to serve its customers. When banking first started everything was done by hand; each check and deposit was handled individually. As technology emerged more machines entered the picture, but were still hand-driven. Now, in contrast, deposits can be made via a mobile device as well as in person and images of checks and deposits are retained electronically.
Community involvement has always been a priority for the bank. Contributing funds to help support youth activities, employee-funded scholarships, educational programs and various other community events through the years have proven to be a benefit for the communities served.
Through the generations, as buildings and faces have changed, the communities’ support has remained constant.